BLENNZ Learning Library

Te Kotuituinga Mātauranga Pura o Aotearoa

Sharing stories: strategies to support engagement

| 0 comments

Figure 1 Kashyar, Rainbow Fish book and soft toy

Figure 1 Kashyar with the Rainbow Fish book and soft toy

Kashyar shows auditory awareness when stories are being read to her and vocalises when someone uses a variety of expressive voices and sounds while reading.

Gina Robinson (BLENNZ Resource Teacher Vision) describes how she shares a story with Kashyar and the strategies she includes to support Kashyar’s engagement.

Sharing stories

Figure 2 The book is tilted to a vertical position

When I read stories with Kashyar, and use a variety of expressive voices and sounds, Kashyar makes sounds with her voice. As we read, I make opportunities for Kashyar to touch a variety of textures and objects related to the story.

The story of the Rainbow Fish has been read to Kashyar many times and each time, the soft toy Rainbow Fish is given to Kashyar to hold whilst the story is being read as seen in figure 1.

During the story I hold the book in a close viewing position and at the points in the story each time, I move the fish to make some verbal expressions to support the actions as seen in figures 2 and 3.

Figure 3 Moving the fish in Kashyar's hand

Figure 3 Moving the fish in Kashyar’s hand

Each time I made a certain sound, Kashyar made her own sound. This response was repeated during the story.

Teaching and learning strategies and adaptations

Kashyar is seated in her wheelchair for body and head support.

I hold the book within a close viewing distance so that Kashyar has an opportunity to see the illustrations.

I closely observe Kashyar as I read the story. I regularly pause and provide a space for Kashyar to respond to my voice and to the objects.

I use expressive language and voice while reading to maintain interest.

Useful Links

More information

If you would like to find out more information about this subject, email us at BLENNZ Online.

We will link you up with either the author of this post or another BLENNZ colleague with whom you can continue your conversation.